Currently Reading

  • White Noise (Don Dellio)
  • Emma (Jane Austen)
  • King Lear (William Shakespeare)
  • Malcom X (Alex Haley)

Monday, March 1, 2010

The Family Man

Hello internet,

On my way home today I took an aspect of the plot from the Nicolas Cage movie The Family Man and turned it into what I think could be a really neat novel idea. As usual, I couldn't stop myself from working out the story while sitting on the bus going home from school.

Think about Don Cheadle's character and add the concept that we as people are watched and judged by mysterious beings known only as The Higher-Ups. There aren't many messengers of The Higher-Ups, so not all of us get judged, but those lucky enough to be viewed as living a good life (definition of good complex) get to repeat life and make different choices. But if someone is viewed as bad, once they die they cease to exist and are replaced in other people's subsequent repeats by fake copies who serve the purpose of only continuity for the repeaters who interacted with them. Now, if someone can get noticed and judged as good six times in a row (no idea why six times), they become a Higher-Up and obtain the answers to all of life's mysteries. I'd call it fate that someone is lucky to be noticed and viewed six different times; one to me would be amazing considering how many people there are in the world.

I also like the idea of a character who is chosen to repeat life five times dies on the sixth without having been found and judged even though they've lead another good life. Or maybe someone during their repeat dies before they could be noticed? It would be more intense, obviously, and with more characters, but I really liked the concept. And, on that note, they are never aware they are / have been repeating their lives until the sixth time, and only then slowly (think deja-vu). Or maybe only one becomes aware randomly, when they shouldn't ever be aware? So many possibilities.

Maybe I'll write it as my next short story?

It seems that ideas always come to me when I don't have a pen around. I need to invest in a tape recorder.

Work continues on editing The Photograph tomorrow.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment