Currently Reading

  • White Noise (Don Dellio)
  • Emma (Jane Austen)
  • King Lear (William Shakespeare)
  • Malcom X (Alex Haley)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Meaning of Clara

Afternoon,

I wanted to take a few paragraphs and talk about my most recent short story, Clara. It can be found in full on this blog, and I hope that you take the time to read it. Also, if you want a hard copy, feel free to e-mail me and I'll send it off.

Clara is about population control. Its story takes place in a world where no one is having children, and if you are caught having a child then that child and its mother are terminated while the father is tried and jailed.

I liked the idea that the world was so full of people that the government had no choice but to ban reproduction. I like to think that this choice was unanimous by all the governments of the world, who finally all agreed on one thing: population control. Scary, huh? I imagine that women were then forced to be on birth control, and if they resisted then they would be terminated if they were caught. That would bring up a lot of debate about religion, ethics, and freedom. It would create great drama, characters, and political interest. I see Freedom Fighters, and people trying to secretly have children. There's so much to say, and I'm excited to one day turn this into a novel.

And as the world gets bigger and bigger, I think it's important that we all start thinking about what could happen to our freedom in the future; our freedom to have children and spread life.

Population control isn't an unreality, it's a haunting reality.

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment